Thursday, September 8, 2011

Re-roasting the peanuts

Since I started writing on this blog, many months have passed. It has been a delightful experience to find that there are many out there, who like my style of writing, and the way I like to express my thoughts. I have also greatly enjoyed reading the comments on my blog -- the readers have been extremely supportive, and I consider it an honor to have such a diverse and opinionated group of people, who visit this blog on a regular basis.



When I wrote my first post,  my intent was to write about the things that I like, and the things that I miss about an India, that seems to have moved on. The new and "resurgent" India, that I see around me, is quite different from the one that I miss. But, somewhere along the line, I started writing more about politics, and less about the things that I like.

I recently received an absolute gem of a comment from an anonymous reader. It seems that he (or she) likes my writing, but feels that I shouldn't be writing about petty politics. I couldn't agree more. I have seen that as one starts writing about the stories in the news, one finds a lot of things to write about. And politics, seems to make news, every few seconds. Eventually, writing gets quite overwhelming, and it does not provide the satisfaction one looks for. So, I have realized that writing about politics, is not something that I enjoy.

Thanks to a well-meaning reader, I will get back to doing something that I like to do. Write about things on The Peanut Express, that give me joy. And perhaps, to a lot of my readers.

So, no more politics. Sit tight my fellow campers, it is time to re-roast the peanuts!

8 comments:

  1. babu,posting so late in the night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gratitude is a mark of true humility!!! Desi Babuji, you've earned my respect!!! You're welcome, I enjoyed every post of yours (even if there were the occasional sizzling though 'beneath you' political stuff involved)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Desi Babu,
    If you were writing about politics because it was uppermost in your mind, then why stop? Why cast yourself into a mould of others making, merely because they wish it so?

    On the other hand, if you had truly strayed, then it would be good to step back. Of course, that will come at a price – just like it is easier to write on politics, it is also easier to comment on politics.

    Fair winds, and following seas, and long may your big jib draw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good decision, why waste talent on a dirty issue? Looking forward to taste the re-roasted peanuts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Daran: Thanks for the kind words!

    Dear Sudeep: Were you ever in the navy?! That's a really cool expression!

    Dear Saru: Sure! If you like it the old fashioned Desi way, then, the best way to have peanuts is with a mix of rock salt and red chilli pepper. Nothing beats the taste...

    ReplyDelete
  6. anonymous @ 3:32 AM: Another way of looking at it is that it was really early in the morning! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a nice way to ask your readers,by writing a post on it.
    Your true self shines in the non-political posts.I Too, marvel at your writing,the way you move from potatoes to anna hazare or from simian to the theme of love.
    but that does not mean readers like me look 4ward to reading politics.bring out your finer stuff we say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon above: Thanks for your kind words. It is very tempting to NOT write about politics, specially if you see the humor in a twenty four hour comedy show called politics...But then, I have realized that I don't enjoy it. And the only reason that I blog, is that I enjoy it. So, it will be a tussle between "fun" and "funny". Let us see who wins...

    ReplyDelete