Friday, December 9, 2011

The trouble with ninety nine..

Many years ago, I learned a wonderful expression in Hindi, that is not very commonly used any more.

"Ninyanve ka pher", or roughly translated, "The trouble with ninety nine", represents a basic human trait, that has both positive and negative connotations. Mostly, people use it to demonstrate how greed works. If you have ninety nine Paise, you would love to have a Rupee. If you have ninety nine Rupees, a hundred would probably work out better. Those of you, who are in the corporate rat-race, have probably had a frequent desire to move to six figures, when you are making five. And, it specially hurts, if you are just one away from making the cut, doesn't it?

To me, the number ninety nine, has always been fascinating. It has always been a sign of hope. A hope that there is something beyond my reach -- something, that I can strive to achieve. And so, I am not really a big fan of hundred, or thousand, or any round number, with a bunch of zeros at the end. A train of nines, just gets me going, like that energizer bunny -- on and on and on.

A few weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see, that I was a few posts short of a hundred, and a few weeks away from the one year anniversary of my blog. I kept wondering, which number I would hit on the one year date -- ninety nine, or hundred? Since I had enough time on my hands, I could probably make it work, whichever way I wanted. But as serious wannabe sadhus do, I left it to the greater dynamics of the cosmos, and the will of the greatest cosmic dancer of them all, who also smokes pot. And, as it turns out, one day before the first anniversary of my blog, I am just one post short of a hundred.

It has been an amazing year. I started out writing primarily for myself. For the joy of writing. But then, slowly, the comments and the emails started trickling in. Comments and emails, that made me aware that there are people out there, who like my writing. I have been blessed with readers, who have always let me know what they like and what they don't. And, I have slowly realized that although I write primarily for myself, it is an honor writing for the readers of this blog, who are amazingly well-read, opinionated, and most important, surprisingly kind to a never-gonnabe writer and a seriously-wannabe Sadhu.

I dedicate this ninety-ninth post of The Peanut Express to its readers. A day before its first anniversary. Here's to the missing ones!

12 comments:

  1. is the party tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, the cosmic chart has positioned you in a very mighty situation. I love 99, I love imperfect, it gives me a feeling that I have to achieve and work hard. Not my greed, just something to tell that there is still something out there for me.

    Congratulations in advance:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a new expression - did someone from Bata coin it?

    It just does not seem that 99 posts and 1 year has flown by - and that is meant as a tribute to the readability of your blog.

    It is all the more creditable since I am struggling very badly trying to write one post (you know which one). After many years where my only writing has been emails & formal documents, I am finding myself quite incapable of proceeding beyond a paragraph or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pl make it 100.u know how we feel when sachin misses his century by one run.and the comment above :did someone from Bata coin it?"..haha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said - ‘One day before the first anniversary of my blog, I am just one post short of a hundred’- well, great going. And good that now you are no more writing for yourself.
    Waiting for your 100 th post. That will really very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all, for your kind words. I don't think there is going to be anything special about the 100th post. I like to celebrate my 99s more..

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Desi Babu, U cannot simply raise expectations.... and

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ninety-nine posts already?

    How about coming out of agyaatvaas in the hundredth?

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the 99 and the 100th, 200th and 500th... so on

    I am sure you will enthrall all with many more delicious posts from the ethereal world peanut express travels to.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Rohit: Hopefully, you will like the 100th post, it is almost ready.

    Thank you Ghosh Babu and Janani! It is a pleasure having you as readers of the Peanut Express !

    ReplyDelete
  11. and, Iam waiting for ur 100th. Sure it will come before Sachin Tendulkar's :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @How about coming out of agyaatvaas in the hundredth?

    I second that ! ;)

    ReplyDelete